12/3/09

Sabon - A rather lovely, sumptuous shop.



I am a product whore, as I keep trying to tell you, so I do not typically buy into product expansion by companies that specialize in one thing and make others to fill their shops. Like Sabon, which means 'soap' in Hebrew. They make soap, and they make it really well, but they also sell hand scrubs, body scrubs, candles, slippers, aromatherapy oils, shower gels and on and on and on. So I assumed that they were just like the rest. So when I went into Sabon with a few minutes to kill, wondering if they might have a scent I wanted in a room oil bamboo stick thingy, I was not readily interested when they said they only offered the Vanilla, Patchouli and Lavender in everything BUT what is actually known as Aroma Diffuser and not in fact room oil bamboo stick thingy.



But being my product whore self I braved it, for my readers mostly :P Ok, I loved the Body Oil spray, Body Lotion and um, well everything in that scent (I justified it as 'layering' the scent)


I then happened upon (ok I 'happened' upon the entire shop eventually) this Mud Mask, reminding me of my childhood and my mothers bathtub jar which was dusty as hell but fascinating. I asked for a sample when she told me it was from Dead Sea (again, why am I sucked in? No idea, as you may well have noticed, I LIVE in Israel. DUH, how hard is it to get Dead Sea ANYTHING?? not very.) I always ask for a sample because a. I have sensitive skin, b. I do not pay a lot of money without trying products first, c. if a company does not readily and happily give samples for products to be used on skin then run. and run fast. So then I asked about the other masks, she said the A&E was moisturizing so I said, "Well then, whats the Mud Mask all about?" This is when I learned that it was detoxifying and can be drying to some skin types, I said ok, give me a sample of the A&E then, since I am literally zapping myself with everything I touch(damn you,static electricity,) I figure a bit of moisture might not hurt.

After purchasing Shea Butter bar in lavender, Body Oil, Body Lotion in Patchouli, Lavender and Vanilla, Aromatherapy Oil for my burner in Ginger , I took home my 2 samples of masks and this is what happened:

Aside from making my daughter and boyfriend laugh (my son saw me put it on and thought I looked like a 'bad guy' wearing a 'good guy' mask - which made me laugh actually) it was great, simple and a touch gritty upon application, not an over powering scent which is nice, and smooth (despite the grittiness, go with me on this) It began to dry pretty quickly and evenly and was not overly tight and I did not feel dried out, I washed gently after I lost track of time, so lets go with 'awhile' and was actually surprised at how soft and even hydrated my skin felt. You know your skin is in deep shit when a mask that is 'drying' hydrates your desert for a face.... I approved and decided I would want to use this regularly AND spend a lot less than the 'product whore price' I would pay for an internationally known brand I usually use.


I decided to go big and spa-night and do the A&E mask as well. Ok, I should note that this is NOT what one should do when testing or sampling products, you are supposed to give your skin 24 hours to react to ONE product before adding another to the mix and making it impossible to know which you may have reacted to. Just sayin' - for your benefit since I clearly do not heed my own advice. So being a touch over eager and hoping for fab glowing skin, I went with the A&E mask. Oh Sabon, you fabulous folks you, this was SOOO moisturizing that it actually seemed to sweat moisture onto my face. If you do not know what I mean, well, in this case I am not even sure I can say it any more clearly. I know,I am totally useless, sorry. I left it on for ages again, or apporx 20-30 minutes and wiped it off with a damp cloth and then rinsed with only water and patted dry. OOOh, Ahhh, Oh yes, I am a happy moisturized girly girl, I am.


And if you laugh at my tired, but moisturized and deeply cleansed face without makeup... well, then you are simply mean and do not appreciate the sacrifices I make for my readers (all 3 of you) But yeah, feel free to laugh at the mask pictures. I did.

Next up, I will tell you how I ended up liking (or not liking) the Lavender, Vanilla and Patchouli products I purchased. (insert Law and Order sound byte here)

1 comment:

  1. I have been to Sabon!! I know exactly where it is on Sheinkin! I was sent on an errand to buy lotion for the girl I stayed with on my first visit. That's all I know though...nothing about the products.

    PS: You look good in those masks!!

    ReplyDelete